History of the School
A History of Dohn Community High School
 
For most of its history, the building located at 608 East McMillan, known asthe Sattler Building, served educational purposes rather than the industrial uses for which it was intended. Architects Kruckeyer and Strong designed the 3-story limestone building for the Randolph Sattler Company, steel engraved printers and publishers. (Note the “S” in the oval above the center door facing McMillan.) The company moved from their downtown location at 3rd and Vine Streets to the McMillan site in 1927.
By the 1930s, the building was used as a printing trades school. Four temporary buildings were erected, and an adjoining garage was remodeled as a machine shop for the Mechanical Trades School. After World War II, the Sattler Building housed the Veterans Vocational Training Center and two vocational high schools. In 1953, the vocational high school program for the Cincinnati Public Schools was transferred to the new Center High School on Central Parkway (the site now occupied by Cincinnati State Technical and Community College).
The administrative offices of the Cincinnati Board of Education were here until 1967, and in September 1969, the McMillan Adult Center for at-risk junior and senior high school students opened. In 1987, the McMillan Center enrolled about 850 students. Following a study that indicated the school was not having a significant impact on the district’s drop out rate, the Cincinnati Public School Board of Education voted to close the school. Following a number of unsuccessful attempts to sell the building, the school district put the building to a variety of uses, most recently as a place to store excess school furniture and supplies.
In June 2001, the Cincinnati Board of Education agreed to sell the building to the Board of Trustees of the Dohn Community High School, for the purpose of opening a charter high school for at-risk students. The school was housed in the annex building for three years while the Board and Founder and Superintendent Kate Bower raised the funds necessary to renovate the building. Renovation of the first floor was competed in the fall, and students and staff moved into the ‘new’ facility on November 12, 2005. The building was dedicated on April 18, 2005.
For the 2007-2008 school year, the educational program of the school was expanded to include a computer-based instructional program that will allow students to have more choices in courses as well as allowing students to make-up credit during the school day.
The school’s mission, however, remains unchanged. To give all students a quality educational program in a disciplined and safe environment.